Electrical Engineer, Data Centre Operations, London
Mercury is an Irish based European Contractor.
Mercury is a European Contractor that builds and manages complex engineering projects that reimagine how people work and live in the built environment. Our determination and focus enable us to deliver leading-edge construction solutions across a range of key sectors including Enterprise Data Centres, Advanced Technology & Life Sciences, Hyperscale Data Centres, Fire Protection, Technical Support Services (TSS), Data Centre Facility Management, Healthcare & Building Services. Mercury employs over 2,600 people across over 10 locations in Europe and had an overall turnover of €1bn in 2020. Mercury employs the best people, invests heavily in training and education and ensures that the highest standards of health, safety and governance are applied throughout the organisation.
Scope of the Role:
As one of Mercury DCM HV and LV SAPs you will provide electrical engineering services and guidance on all of the electrical systems under Mercury DCM Control and ensure correct operation within the facility’s specifications. Day to day tasks will include the review and approval of HV and LV switching schedules, RAMS, SOPs, MOPs and EOPS. You will carry out optimisation of the electrical infrastructure under guidance from the Electrical Engineering Manager and ensure that all best practices and standards are delivered. Working alongside the Critical Facilities Management Department you will assist with smooth running of Global Data Centres and ensure that any infrastructure issues are quickly resolved to prevent any impact to our customers.
Key Responsibilities of the Role:
- Assist in optimising electrical systems to provide high levels of efficiency, resiliency and reliability.
- HVAP status and counter-signature of safety documents where required for FM team
- Review and sign-off critical switching and complex RAMS for electrical work
- Complete HV and LV Switching to support FM Team
- Provide 2nd/3rd level escalation for electrical issues
- Be prepared to participate in a call out rota system
- Writing, testing and validation of electrical SOP/MOP/EOPs
- Assist the Senior Electrical Authorising Engineer with the Evaluation and rollout of Electrical Safety Rules revisions
- Assist the Senior Electrical Authorising Engineer with Electrical Assessments of FM staff, and Site Audits
- Carry out root-cause analysis of unplanned events, liaise with specialist contactors’ technical departments to drive incident to resolution.
- Assist the incident manager and customer operational team with technical information needed for the incident reports.
- Organise training for CFM engineers/supervisors on any electrical systems adhoc or planned
- Assign ownership of any key electrical issues and push progression, and as part of this, ensure ticketing system is up to date
- Assist the Electrical Authorising Engineer to ensure compliance with Electrical Health & Safety related policies and procedures
- Analyse capacity management and electrical load profiles
- Identify PUE Improvement possibilities, and suitable energy improvement projects.
- And any other duties relevant to the position and running of the company
Essential Criteria for the Role:
- HVAP Certification (SAP4 or equivalent)
- 18th Edition certified or similar electrical qualification
- HND or similar in relevant area (Electrical, Building Services)
- Ideally industry or manufacturer training in generator controls, UPS systems, AC and DC power & switchgear
- IOSH – Working / Managing Safely
- Experience in electrical and control systems is required with excellent attention to detail
- Good understanding of Data Centre power systems and building services generally
- Knowledge of BS7671:2018 and IEE Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment
- Knowledge and understanding of the requirements for the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.
- Knowledge of HV and LV switchgear, LV generators, cable and transformer system inspections and test regimes.
- Strong leadership skills with significant experience in dealing with contractors and sub-contractors
- Experience in HV (11kV) switching
- Good numerical and literacy skills and high levels of computer literacy
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise
- Good analytical/ problem solving skills
- The ability to communicate effectively at all levels with good relationship building skills
- Self-motivated and keen to develop, with a willingness and desire to learn
- Keen to share knowledge with colleagues
- To possess initiative with an inquisitive nature, unafraid to ask appropriate questions
- To possess a clean full driving licence valid for use in the UK
- To undergo full security checks to BS7858:2012
Mercury is an equal opportunities employerApply Now