Mechanical Engineer, Data Centre Operations, Slough, U.K
Mercury is an Irish based European Contractor.
Mercury is a European Contractor that builds and manages complex engineering projects that reimagine how people work and live in the built environment. Our determination and focus enable us to deliver leading-edge construction solutions across a range of key sectors including Enterprise Data Centres, Advanced Technology & Life Sciences, Hyperscale Data Centres, Fire Protection, Technical Support Services (TSS), Data Centre Facility Management, Healthcare & Building Services. Mercury employs over 2,600 people across over 10 locations in Europe and had an overall turnover of €1bn in 2020. Mercury employs the best people, invests heavily in training and education and ensures that the highest standards of health, safety and governance are applied throughout the organisation.
Scope of the role
Reporting to the Technical Operations Manager, leading mechanical systems technical troubleshooting, compliance and infrastructure improvements and ensure correct operation within the facility’s specifications. Working within the technical operations team alongside Electrical Lead and Senior Authorising Engineer, day-to-day tasks will include the review and approval of mechanical works and associated RAMS, SOPs, MOPs and EOPS. Working alongside the Technical Operations Manager you will assist with smooth running of live data centres and ensure that any infrastructure issues are quickly resolved to prevent any impact to end-customers. This role will be support operational teams across several data centres located in Slough & Stockley Park, Greater London UK.
Responsibilities of the Role:
- Assist in optimising mechanical systems to provide high levels of efficiency, resiliency and reliability.
- Be subject matter expert on mechanical system isolations and be counter-signature of safety documents where required for FM team
- Review and sign-off critical mechanical isolation/ maintenance/ reinstatement tasks and complex RAMS for mechanical work
- Provide 2nd/3rd level escalation for mechanical issues
- Be prepared to participate in a call out rota system
- Writing, testing and validation of mechanical SOP/MOP/EOPs
- Assist the Technical Operations Managers and Senior Authorising Engineer with mechanical competency assessments of FM staff, and Site Audits
- Carry out root-cause analysis of unplanned events, liaise with specialist contactors’ technical departments to drive incident to resolution.
- Assist the incident manager and customer operational team with technical information needed for the incident reports.
- Organise training for CFM engineers/supervisors on any mechanical systems adhoc or planned
- Assign ownership of any key mechanical issues and push progression, and as part of this, ensure ticketing system is up to date
- Assist the Technical Operations Manager and EHS Manager to ensure compliance with Health & Safety related policies and procedures
- Identify cooling/ ventilation efficiency improvement possibilities, and suitable energy improvement projects.
- And any other duties relevant to the position and running of the company
Your Qualifications and Key Criteria:
- A trade and/ or relevant third level qualification
- Minimum of 5 years previous experience in mechanical engineer, ideally in an FM environment
- Industry or manufacturer training in Heat Exchangers, Pumps, Mechanical Controls & Air Handling Units (preferred)
- Data centre specific experience (preferred)
- IOSH – Working / Managing Safely
- Strong leadership skills with significant experience in dealing with contractors and sub-contractors
- Good numerical and literacy skills and high levels of computer literacy
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise
- Good analytical/ problem solving skills
- The ability to communicate effectively at all levels with good relationship building skills
- Self-motivated and keen to develop, with a willingness and desire to learn
- Keen to share knowledge with colleagues
- To possess initiative with an inquisitive nature, unafraid to ask appropriate questions
- To possess a clean full driving licence valid for use in the UK
- To undergo full security checks to BS7858:2012
Mercury is an equal opportunities employer.Apply Now