Datacentre Operations Contract Manager, UK
Mercury is an Irish based European Contractor.
We build and manage complex engineering projects that reimagine how people work and live in the built environment. Our determination and focus enable us to deliver leading-edge construction solutions across a range of key sectors including Data Centres, Life Sciences & Technology, Building Services, Healthcare, Fire Protection and Technical Support Services. Mercury employs almost 2,000 people across Ireland, the UK, and Europe, and had an overall turnover of €900m in 2019. Mercury employs the best people, invests heavily in training and education and ensures that the highest standards of health, safety and governance are applied throughout the organisation.
Scope of the role:
To manage, motivate and develop the on-site Data Centre Critical Environment Operations team in a business critical 24/7/365 environment, providing the 2 service lines to the client of critical environment and the facility operations. To manage and develop a professional relationship with the client locally to create a positive customer experience. To deliver a performance level which achieves the KPI’s and SLA’s set down in the contract. To lead, motivate and develop the team on the site and to ensure that the culture and standards on the site are consistent with the culture and standards of the Mercury engineering group. To audit and monitor the on-site operations team’s productivity and to develop efficiencies and innovations that benefit the client.
Providing leadership, management, and development of the contract, ensuring financial, and operational commitments are met and exceeded. Ensure that on this site all staff are in compliance with ethical, financial and QHSE requirements.
This role is responsible for all strategic and tactical aspects of the operations including, but not limited to, FM, electrical, mechanical, monitoring, control systems & security operations.
Key Responsibilites of the role:
- Ensure that across the services provided for the client that effective and efficient systems are in place to: Plan the work ahead, manage the work daily on the ground, communicate the issues around the work to the key stakeholders and measure performance of completing work on time and within the SLAs of the contract.
- Effectively lead management related activities including regular management meetings; development of operational procedures; fostering of good relationships with the client; providing services of the highest standards.
- Have overall responsibility for the day-to-day management of the Data Centre Critical Environment Operations team of supervisors and technicians.
- Manage annual contract budgets and accounts. Produce site related financial, activity and other statistical information and reports as requested. To provide input into regular management reports.
- Be the point of contact during significant events or multi-discipline technical escalations occurring within the specified site.
- Ensure data centre operations and business policies and processes are effectively communicated, implemented and adhered to within the contract.
- Ensure the provision of healthy and safe working conditions and that both clients and health and safety policy’s and process is effectively implemented across vendor activities, and are regularly reviewed
- Ensure optimum staffing structures operate on the contract, balancing cost reduction with the delivery of service excellence. Ensure structures support peaks and troughs in workload, and disaster recovery.
- Manage and co-ordinate a shift team working 24/7 and to ensure all absence is fully covered by suitably trained and experienced staff.
- Ensure appropriate control systems are in place to comply with statutory, policy and contractual commitments.
- Ensure a customer focus within all areas of operational activities, and that effective relationships are maintained with key client contacts.
- Ensuring contractually agreed SLA’s and KPI’s within the Scope of Works (SOW) are met and necessary record retention demonstrating adherence.
- Plan and schedule all maintenance vendor works and repairs. Ensure all accounts and documentation associated with these vendors are current and up to date.
- Ensure all vendors deliver a quality and competent service and that all contractual obligations are met.
- Manage and deliver repairs and minor project works, as required, within the data centre.
- Develop effective working relationship with all members of staff and the Client representatives.
- Manage other tasks as directed by your senior management team.
- Provision of leadership and guidance, advice, coaching and direct support, where required to deliver best practice selection, training, assessment and recognition/reward, to include the appraisal system.
- Deliver effective business communication through advice, review, leadership and direct contribution to management and team meetings, briefings, consultation forums, correspondence, publicity, monthly and ad-hoc reporting and other publications, as appropriate.
- Provide a learning environment, and appropriate training and development planning. Ensure basic training needs are delivered, employees are fully competent to undertake their roles, and are able to reach their full future potential.
- Talent manage staff to ensure an appropriate training plan and career progression is identified.
Operation and troubleshooting for the following:
- Building Management System.
- Lighting Control System.
- Air conditioning systems, Chillers, FCU’s.
- AHU’s & variable speed drives.
- Heating system.
- Generators and controls.
- Single phase and three phase motors.
- UPS system and associated control systems.
- Emergency lighting.
- Operation of HV systems (training and familiarisation with this system will be made available).
- To liaise with the site operational team and be aware of all vendor visits, have approved standard operating procedures, risk assessments and work permits in advance.
- Ensure that service providers worksheets are signed off, quality of works are inspected, and any recommendations/problems are escalate
Essential Criteria for the role:
- Has worked in a contracts manager position in an operating data centre for 8 years or more.
- Degree qualified in electrical, mechanical or IT profession.
- Managerial experience at Facility Manager or Contract Manager position within a critical environment.
- Detailed understanding and experience of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a data centre environment, including: Feeders, Transformers, Generators, Fuel Systems, Switchgear, UPS systems, Battery banks, ATS/STS units, PDU/PMM units, Air handling units, chilled water systems, Fire Alarm systems, and Fire Suppression systems (pre-action sprinklers).
- Must understand all the associated safety code related requirements relative to providing the service.
- Experience with Health & Safety Risk Assessments and Control Measures.
- Experience of maintaining critical & temperature control conditioned environments.
- Good understanding of IT support services including Operating software, Server hardware, Network, Storage and IT infrastructure.
- Prior operations management experience including team management, work scheduling, and performance reviews
- Strong understanding of ticketing or workflow management systems and tools.
- Experience of managing escalation and emergency issues.
- Experience in vendor management, ability to manage and monitor progress to ensure objectives are achieved for outsourced support and projects.
- Practical experience must include recruitment and line management/supervisory experience.
- Experience with Project Management principles & delivering Datacentre project upgrade works.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to communicate intelligently and effectively with the client, employees and subcontractors.
- Excellent motivational and influencing skills, with high levels of personal integrity.
- Has vision, and able to communicate this effectively. A role model for customer service excellence and politically astute.
- Ability to communicate technical and business problems in a non-technical manner.
- Calm manner, able to work under pressure.
Mercury is an equal opportunity employer.