Electrical Authorising Engineer, London
Mercury is an Irish based European Contractor.
Mercury is a European Contractor that builds and manages complex engineering projects that reimagine how people work and live in the built environment. Our determination and focus enable us to deliver leading-edge construction solutions across a range of key sectors including Enterprise Data Centres, Advanced Technology & Life Sciences, Hyperscale Data Centres, Fire Protection, Technical Support Services (TSS), Data Centre Facility Management, Healthcare & Building Services. Mercury employs over 2,600 people across over 10 locations in Europe and had an overall turnover of €1bn in 2020. Mercury employs the best people, invests heavily in training and education and ensures that the highest standards of health, safety and governance are applied throughout the organisation.
Key Responsibilities of the Role:
- The Authorising Engineer is responsible for implementing, administering, monitoring and auditing the application of Mercury’s (or the contract specific) Electrical Safety Rules
- Initiate the training and appointment (or re-appointment) of sufficient Authorised Persons to provide the necessary cover for all systems and installations for which the company has control of the electrical danger.
- Take responsibility for the supervision and leadership of the prospective Authorised Persons carrying out switching operations on the HV/LV system, as part of the Authorised Person’s training, development and assessment process.
- Nominate one Authorised Person as the Senior Authorised Person for each establishment or geographical area as appropriate that Mercury Data Centre Management have under contract.
- Maintain a register of all Authorised Persons including their training records and their areas of responsibility, plus any other relevant information regarding the authorisation in an ongoing basis
- At intervals not exceeding three years, undertake comprehensive audits, in accordance with Mercury’s electrical safety rules to all systems and installations for which the Authorising Engineer has been appointed
- Ensure that a system is in place to circulate relevant information on Operational Restrictions and Dangerous Occurrences to all Authorised Persons.
- Ensure that a system is in place to investigate any equipment subject to an Operational Restriction.
- Investigate all Dangerous Occurrences and incidents involving electrical equipment, systems and installations for which the Authorising Engineer is responsible.
- Agree any local deviation that may be necessary for their application to a particular item of equipment, or location
- Ensuring that all Accidents, Incidents or Dangerous Occurrence associated with work on Electrical Distribution Systems, are immediately notified to the Mercury Designated Person
- Implements and is accountable for a management system that ensures all switching schedules have been reviewed and approved for use by the relevant technical authority
- The day to day management of the maintenance and operation of the Technical Services Electrical engineering on the portfolio of data centres under management
- Implementing and Managing Maintenance policies for the Technical Services Department
Essential Criteria for the Role:
- Electrical engineering degree
- 5-10years industry experience
Mercury is an equal opportunities employer.