News & Insights
Mercury staff take part in mental health and well-being awareness day
Mercury staff working on a hyper-scale data centre project near Dublin, recently took part in a mental health and well-being awareness day.
‘Time to Talk’ was the theme of the initiative and team members shared lunch before discussing important mental health issues.
Gerry Bird, a safety adviser on the project, says that a simple conversation can sometimes help to ‘break down barriers’ surrounding the discussion of mental health.
He said: “A simple ‘Are you OK?’ could make all the different.
“It’s OK to not be OK. Chose to talk and change lives. Together we can end mental health stigma.
“Mercury wishes to create a positive mindset where all operatives can feel free to have that conversation with any of our mental health first-aiders.”
This initiative comes as Mercury plans to increase mental health and well-being awareness across the organisation in 2020.
Mercury’s Senior Management, EHS team and HR department work together with our project teams across Ireland and Europe to create an environment where our employees can become the best that they can be. Our employee’s wellness and mental health are a key focus for us when completing all projects. As such, our Global Wellness Plan includes:
- Our Employee Assistance Programme – an independent and confidential service to help employees identify and resolve their personal problems.
- Mental Health First Aid Training – the initial help given to someone developing a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis. This course teaches people how to assist someone who is developing a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis.
- Wellness Plan & Boards – Mercury’s Wellness boards are posted on all projects across the group and include key information on wellness.
- Making Safety Personal (MSP) – MSP is a training programme for public and private entities that are committed to bridging the behavioural aspect of the causes of accidents, incidents and near misses. Since launching this new programme, Mercury has had 50 projects run in 2019 without a single Lost Time Injury (LTI). Read more here.
- PepTalk Wellness Phone App – Mercury has partnered with PepTalk to deliver an app to all of its staff across Europe to promote wellness. Read more here.
Like Mercury on Facebook.