News & Insights
Mercury announces opportunities for those affected by changes to UK visas
Are you affected by the recent changes to UK work permits?
In addition to continuing to operate across the UK, Mercury has several opportunities for Construction & Engineering professionals at all levels across Ireland & Continental Europe.
Recent changes to UK Visa & Work Permit Laws
The British government recently unveiled the UK’s new points-based visa and immigration system on 19 February, 2020.
This new immigration bill will come into effect from 1 January 2021 and will require migrants to score a minimum of 70 points, based on a new “Australian Style” points system. Some may also qualify under a Tier 2 visa category if they can amass 40 points.
Under the new system, points will be awarded based on meeting certain criteria, some of which are mandatory:
- 10 points will be awarded if a migrant speaks English (mandatory)
- 20 points will be awarded if an individual has a job, offer or sponsor (mandatory)
- 20 points will be awarded if the job has the proper skill level (mandatory)
- 0 points will be awarded if a job’s salary ranges from £20,480 to £23,039
- 10 points will be awarded if a job’s salary is between £23,040 and £25,599
- 20 points will be awarded if the salary for a job is over £25,600
- 20 points will be awarded for a job that’s on the shortage occupation list
- 10 points will be awarded if a UK visa applicant has a PhD degree
- 20 points will be awarded if an individual’s PhD degree is in Science, Technology, Mathematics or Engineering (STEM)
If you are currently employed in the Construction sector and are likely to be affected by any of these new UK visa measures, we encourage you to apply for a role with Mercury.
In 2020 we plan to expand our operations and are currently recruiting staff for a number of roles across Ireland, the UK and Europe.
Working at Mercury
- A highly competitive salary
- Career advancement in a large innovative company
- The opportunity to travel
- Visa & relocation assistance across the EU/EEA.
Like Mercury on Facebook.